Saturday, April 18, 2009

Local searches made easy

I just came across a great local search engine - Local.com. It’s such a good resource, I’ve already bookmarked it. It combines the resources of sites like Yellowpages.com, Superpages.com, Yelp.com, and Citysearch.com. Local.com boasts a database of over 16 million business listings that every zip code throughout the U.S.

In just one day, Local.com proved to be a valuable resource for me as I looked for businesses, services, and contact information in my city. It’s great if for people like me who spend a lot of time going to meetings and business lunches. I like the website because I can do essentially all of my searching for businesses and contact information on one online location. It’s like a local yellow pages, but it has a lot more perks.

Local.com is easy to use. Let's say you're trying to locate a place in Chicago. Just type the name or the type of business or service in the “what” box, and enter the location in the “where” box. Use as many variables as you wish. You can enter a city, state, landmark, zip code, area code or airport code as the geographic location. Local.com is user-friendly. It has the ability to determine your current location, and provide business listings in your local area even if you don’t enter a specific location in the "where" box.

Local.com also saves me a lot of time when I’m looking for restaurants. Today I located a number of local restaurants in the area that serve authentic Italian cuisine. I could also read reviews and get directions. Cool!

I was thrilled to find a link for coffee shops, and I’ve already bookmarked it. Now, no matter which neighborhood I’m in, I’ll be able to locate the places that sell the gourmet coffees and sweets I crave.

Geographically speaking, the most relevant businesses will be displayed first. When you need to do a local search, it doesn’t get any easier than this.

No comments: