Sunday, December 11, 2005

Study backs benefits of preschool

Innovative program prepares children for kindergarten

The journal Developmental Psychology has published new research suggesting that Oklahoma's pre-kindergarten program is a success at helping kids prepare for school. Oklahoma is one of the few states to offer preschool to every four-year-old. Gains are reported for kids across the board.

Oklahoma's early childhood program is unusual because it is staffed by well-educated, well-trained, and well-paid teachers receiving regular public school salaries. Michelle Trudeau reports for National Public Radio.

Tags: , , , ,

3 comments:

Jaimie said...

I wish this was nationwide. I pay $7200 a year for preschool for my daughter, and this is actually considered affordable for Southern California.

Preschool being free just seems natural.

Deb Sistrunk said...

I'm with you on this, Jaimie! It's sad that you and other parents must pay so much for preschool. When my children were small, a sizeable amount of my salary also went to child care.

Rose said...

I think this is a great idea considering children should begin learning as early as 1. Those are the crucial early years to me.