Wednesday, December 07, 2005

The Higher Education Act

Funding postsecondary education

This year marks the 40th anniversary of the Higher Education Act, the piece of legislation that created the federal government's large scale involvement in funding postsecondary education for lower income citizens. By most measurements, the results of that involvement have been revolutionary, with the number of colleges, universities, and vocational schools growing rapidly, and the percentage of Americans with some higher education expanding greatly as well.

In 1960, 7.7 percent of Americans held a bachelor's degree or higher; in 2000, that number was 24.4 percent. In 2002, a majority of the population -- 55.2 percent -- had attended some college, while in 1967 only 22.9 percent had done so. According to the Census Bureau, the increase in educational achievement between the late sixties and the early part of this decade accounts for 93 percent of the average gain in family income over that period.

For more information on federal student aid, for tips on how to establish high expectations for students as early as middle school, and for assistance in planning for higher education academically and financially, visit www.AIE.org. The site, called Adventures in Education, provides content for students and parents, beginning at the middle school level. TG provides this Web site as a public service to help all families and students achieve their educational and career dreams.

Sources: U.S. Census Bureau; Postsecondary Educational Opportunity Newsletter

Via Black Enterprise.com

Tag: , , . , , ,

3 comments:

letter shredder said...

I'd say I'm lucky I got into the state university. around 65,000 took the exam and I was one of the 3-4,000 who passed. that means my education would be subsidized by the gov't.

in the philippines, people pay high reagrd to education. however, after graduating college, it is awfully difficult to find a job!

Hasan Mubarak said...

I wish the same thing can be implemented here in my country...

Higher Education is too much expensive in most of the developing world.

Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

Letter Shredder: Good for you for passing the exam and completing college. I am sure that you will realize your career goals. For many recent grads, it takes time. That is true, even in the U.S.

Hasan: I, too, hope that developing countries will provide more student aid for students. Here in the U.S., it is still expensive for a student to get a college education, so our country could do a better job of funding higher education, also. I know many students who, even with scholarships, have graduated from their universities owing at least $10,000 or more in student loans.

It has been many years since I completed my university work. I don't know what I'd do if I were in school now. That university I attended now charges about $38,000 each year for tuition alone.

I worked my way through school. Scholarships paid for my tuition. Student loans paid for my books and room and board. I worked 30-40 hours per week throughout my college career. I still graduated owing a hefty sum in student loans.

A lot of American students start college but don't get their degrees because of financial challenges. Hopefully, the funding picture will improve for students worldwide.