Here is a checklist recommended by many police departments:
- Stop mail and newspapers, or ask a trusted neighbor to get them every day.
- Put timers on several household lights.
- Arrange to have grass mowed while gone.
- Be cautious about whom you tell about your departure.
- Make sure that everything is locked and secure. Double-check sheds, windows, garage doors and basement windows.
- An unanswered phone might tip off a prowler that no one is home. Turn off the ringer and don't mention your departure on the answering machine.
- Leave on an outdoor light with a motion sensor.
- Remove all "secret" keys from outside. Leave blinds and curtains in normal positions wherever possible, taking care not to expose many valuables.
- Stow valuables (important papers, jewelry, etc.) in a home safe or safe-deposit box.
- Activate the alarm system and notify the security company about your vacation.
Do everything you can to give the illusion that someone is at home.
Source: Orlando (Florida) Police Department