Friday, March 30, 2012

Fast-tracking my career

I began my academic and professional career at the age of 18. I had no idea just how much technology would touch my life.

A few weeks before I started college, I accepted a position with a PBS station.  It was an entry-level position, which afforded me the opportunity of learning public television from the ground up.  As a full-time urban studies student, I worked 30 hours per week. 

Broadcasting had not been on my career radar, but it didn't take long for the bug to bite.  I spent four years in public TV, working primarily in instructional TV and production.  Instructional television fed my need to be involved in education.  The production department afforded me the opportunity to use my research and writing skills.

After completing four years of public TV, I moved on to public radio, where I worked another four years.  Initially, I was hired for an office position, but within a year, I was also working Saturday nights as a news reporter.  About eight months later, my job changed completely.  I was promoted to announcer/producer, working in virtually every area of radio production. 

For me, radio was Disneyland.  It was fun.  Still, if you're serious about broadcasting (and I was), you have to be prepared to work long hours and odd hours.  In my case, I hit the floor running, announcing music, producing news, and producing public affairs.

By this time, I was married with two small children.  My children were born into my profession.  Sometimes I wonder how I did it all.  I suppose youth has some advantages.  Someone else might conclude that it's amazing what you'll do when you're young and stupid!


1 comment:

hami said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.